Friday, July 10, 2009

In search of Tom Sawyer: Missouri--Illinois



Day 3 (Sunday, June 28) was as smooth as a baby's bottom :) It was hard to leave my friends and I stayed longer than I planned (but no regrets). I drove through Missouri in the afternoon and arrived to St. Louis late afternoon to see the Gateway Arch. It was a warm sunny day and there were steamboats on the river. Being an interior designer, I have to include this little info. The Gateway Arch was designed by Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen. It is 630 feet (192 m) tall and 630 feet (192 m) wide at its base. So, the tallest monument in the United States. :) I did not linger long and by sunset, I was already in Illinois. I was hoping to make it to Indiana before nightfall, but I had to stop earlier. I got really tired. After almost sliding off the road on the way to Cheyenne, I promised myself I would sleep in the car if I had to, but I would not drive tired. I was about to do that when I felt I should try to find a hotel on my GPS. So, I made a few calls and finally stopped at Abe Lincoln Motel in Effingham, which actually was not in my GPS, but a man at the gas station recommended it and I had to check it out. It was a nice deal for $35 a night. I was so tired, I just wanted to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment