Friday, July 10, 2009

If I did not have bad luck, I would have no luck at all




So, there I was in DC with no room and nowhere to go ... and yet, things managed to get worse! My breaks got much worse and I was basically sliding into stop lights, cars, turns... Somebody hit the back of my car/my tail light as I was parked in a residential zone in Arlington, my computer crashed, I ran out of minutes on my phone, and I lost my passport. And this is just to show how amazing my friends are; at the end of each trial, there was always someone who cared and was willing to help. I was able to travel back to Poolesville to stay with Jenn for a while. Her family was nice enough to invite me in. I'm still amazed at how kind and understanding they are. A lot of amazing things have happened since. One of them was my call to the Slovenian Embassy. As I talked to one of their representatives, I found out about a job at the Embassy, which I currently do not qualify for due to my OPT, but you never know :) I also became better acquainted with some of the activities of Slovenian immigrants in DC and will hopefully become part of it in the future. The next morning, I was literally led to a specific box in my car and I found my passport, stashed in a very unexpected way (for those that know me, you know I have a place for everything!) My last few days have been spent networking, meeting new people, emailing, calling, looking for a job and a room, fixing my car (the right caliper was stuck), renewing my car insurance and more... In spite of the rough patches, I feel great in DC. My favorite moment was driving towards Poolesville after a very good day of job hunting. I rolled my window down, put in a CD with some Oldies and just enjoyed the sunset, the warm humidity, and the fireflies zooming by like shooting stars (well, I was zooming by, they were just leisurely lighting the way)...

No comments:

Post a Comment