Saturday, June 27, 2009

Roughing It in Wyoming




This is the part of my journal where I talk about roadside assistance and Wyoming driving conditions... After two hours yesterday of uneventful driving, I passed over the Teton pass in WY and literally burned my breaks on the way down. I underestimated the hill's slope and did not change into a lower gear. By the time I realized what was happening it was too late and I had nowhere to stop. I soon started smelling something funny (!!!). I saw smoke coming out of what I thought was my engine. I looked at the engine temperature and it looked fine. I stopped at the first turnout and to my horror realized my tires were on fire. And I don't mean this metaphorically. I grabbed the closest thing I could, which was orange juice and poured it all over the tire. I ran to the back of the car where I was storing a gallon of water for emergencies (although I was not expecting that emergency). After I put out the fire, I noticed it wasn't the tire that was burning but what seemed like the breaks. I stood there still shaking when I realized smoke was coming from the other tire as well. I poured everything I had on it and managed to prevent it from catching on fire. Then I just waited and hoped the damage wasn't too bad. As I was on the phone with my insurance company, an officer that was patrolling the pass stopped and offered help. After the breaks cooled down a bit, she followed me to the nearest gas station. There I found out I was one of the many who underestimated the pass. The gas station staff told me many many nasty stories and I realized I got off easy... To make a very long story short (yes, I think it's too late for that :) I drove to the mechanic 20 mi/hr and many hours later had to have my rotors, pads, and calibers changed (I just had the breaks done a week ago). So, to recap Wyoming... Very bad roads (photos to follow), the dreaded Teton pass, strips of no phone service (luckily not the strip where I had the accident), nice people, lots of bikers (so careful), animals crossing the road (even more careful, because the animals realized that in matches vs. the car, they usually win...or become roadkill), beautiful scenery, amazing starry skies, and awesome mechanics with lots of training (the staff at Big O Tires stayed after hours to fix my car and were very nice). So, 500 miles later and 500 dollars later, I am in Cheyenne. I drove all night and slept a bit this morning, now I need to get ready and head for Nebraska and Kansas. Wish me luck. It seems like I will need it :) ps: Excuse my spelling, I am running on reserve :)

2 comments:

  1. Tanja,
    What is with you and road trips? :) You be careful! Once you get past Wyoming the roads are much better. Good luck and we are glad to here you are safe.

    Josh and Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the flat roads in the midwest. There's not much flatter or straighter than Kansas.

    I'm so glad you are safe after that little misadventure. I can't wait to hear more of your happy adventures though.

    This is Elise (Bogle) Hird BTW.

    ReplyDelete